My professional career consists of over 12 years of experience in the IT Audit, Security, and Operations disciplines for a Fortune 500 company. One of my primary value adds in those positions has been to bridge the gap between IT and the business and help make sure policies and security controls are both cost effective and useful for the business (not just security for security sake). My educational background in Finance & Business Management are a big benefit in this endeavor and help keep me focused on the end result which is ensuring that business can continue to operate with acceptable security controls necessary to support on-going operations.
Protect your laptops, desktops, and servers
Educate your employees about information security
Online Banking Security
Recommended commercially available hard drive / disk wiping software:
Hard Drive wiping tips:
- Configure the setting for number of disk wiping passes for a minimum of 3X to ensure the data is sufficiently overwritten. The setting could be set much higher but any greater then 7X does not add much to security and will add a lot of time to the process.
- Disk Wiping can take a lot of time depending on your configuration option so usage of a concurrent license option is recommended if you are dealing with large volumes of devices.
- Review the completion log to ensure the wiping completed 100% successfully
- If you choose to use one of the free options I recommend using a “stable” vs. “beta/preview” builds to minimize your likelihood of encountering errors.
- If your business must comply with a certain regulations like HIPAA it is safer to go with commercial products that have certified their products to comply with a particular standard vs. freely available products that often do not.
Leased Equipment Tips
- Ensure your lease agreement covers the vendor securely wiping your device whether it is a pc, server, printer, or network device. This will likely come with an extra fee associated with it but unless you are certain disclosure of the data would not cause you harm it is worth the piece of mind.
- The typical cost per device for a lease company to wipe the drive ranges from $20-50$ depending on the company.
- It is not wise to attempt to cleanse a leased device yourself without discussing with the vendor ahead of time and making sure it will not potentially violate your lease agreement.